Friday, August 18, 2006

observations

When I'm on the high side of the curve, I love to listen to latin music, cuban, salsa, afro-cuban, fast, percussive, horns, whistles, language that I don't understand hitting me head on at the speed of light, or those slow, languid ballads. I seek out light and heat, spicy foods, imagine sun and salt and sea and dry arid hills. It's cervaza, tequila and gallons of rich dark black coffee, and iced water with limes.

When I'm on the low side, it's the other face of the coin. No music of any kind please, just natural sounds, breezes thru trees, birds, insect buzzing. Not in the mood for much talk either. I look for dim and quiet, simple and bland food, noodles, potatoes, greens, maybe hit with something hot just for interest. Old Chinese and Japanese nature poetry, imagining cool misty remote moutains, rushing little rivers, the smell of eucalyptus. Its green tea, ban-cha, chinese herbal teas, fresh water, and little else.

Today I read a lot of oriental nature poems.