Sunday, November 13, 2005

Sunday quiet

Here it is Sunday morning. The days of the week started running together about Friday morning at 5:30. So many people, so many activities, so much scattered energy (mine and theirs). Endless lists, last minute requests/changes, lots of wining and dining (mountain style of course). And finally, done. So I have today off and will glaze pots.

To give you some indication of how the week has been: at this time of year I have to think and work in a 3 week block. Somewhere, somehow, even while successfully juggling all the events and planning, I lost track of my personal point in time on the calendar. About a week to be exact. Rushing about I ran down to the local grocery place, cause turkeys would be on sale, yipee!. Bought said turkey, did more errands, put said bird in the refrig to thaw. Truly beloved asks last night "uh, why is there a turkey thawing in the refrig?" me, chef extraordinaire: "turkey for thursday". she, patiently: "why thursday, are you taking off and why turkey?" me: "no, and it's thanksgiving" she, knowing she has me soundly cornered in logic and calendar challengement: "aren't you doing the auction on Thursday?" me" Duh-Oh".

I have misplaced a week of personal time. This is my life at this time of year.

But the sun is out and I'm somewhat rested after a good nights sleep. There are pots to be worked on, and now I know I have another week before they all have to be glazed, since the next day I have off is in fact Thanksgiving. Which I will be thankful for as I load my kiln.

Speaking of kilns, the one thing I did these past few days that was fun and interesting for me was going to the final event of the weekend, a slide lecture by Danish artist Nina Hole. Nina's current works are called fire sculptures and I think they are the epitome of what a clay sculptor can do. (i've been interested in doing one for about 3 years, since we moved out of the city. I've been planning to do a smallish one 3-4' tall in the spring or summer, and now have a better idea of the mechanics involved) She will be doing a residency in the area next year in Sept, and was here for site and logistics visits. I hope to work on this project in some way, hopefully during the building of the piece. And of course I'll try to be present at the firing. The piece will actually be built about an hour away across the east ridge, but that's close enough to get to...much closer than say, Denmark.

Right now I think I need some oatmeal and some reading time. So off I go (it's Sunday right?) into the day. Hope everyone has a great one. Stay tuned for more stories of distorted time and space...