Saturday, December 23, 2006

Projects I like

Not that what I like matters to anyone, or that it should, but still...

Marc Snyder has been leaving comments here at the ponderings for a while, and I've been meaning to point towards his sites as an example of what's good about making stuff. Marc has several different sites, and all are consistent with his philosophy of making.

First is his Zero Sum Art project. My take is that this project is an experiment in self-sustaining non-profit making. It's an intersting exercise, and seems to be moving right along.

Next is a pair of sites that Marc is involved with named the Fiji Island Mermaid Press. Of course I haven't asked Marc, but it seems that FIMP is the window thru which the world can see his work and put their money towards supporting fine little idiosyncratic and personal hand made artwork. I took this quote off one of the pages, when I read it I knew I had to spread the word:

"And tests show that we all should be delighted, amazed, or made to say "hmmm" at least once a month."

Now, I ask you, is there any better reason to make stuff? Newsprint and sharpie? I think that says it all...

Visit Marc's sites, leave him a comment, buy some stuff to keep the dream alive and encourage him to keep fighting the good fight.

(editors note: this is a totally unsolicted post. I may be cheap, but I'm not easy...)