Wednesday, November 15, 2006

It could happen, you just never know...

About the Cirkus dream…

You’d have to know a little about me for it to make sense. I’m a real DIY’er, much preferring to cobble together something or another than be a “professional” at it. Money doesn’t motivate me, experiences do. And while I’m an artist, I doubt anyone would categorize me as “talented”, “adept”, “proficient” or “good”. No matter to me, I know how to do some stuff.

My outlook on art in general is so far from the mainstream, it’s laughable. I think the best purpose of art is to help people be open to possibilities. For me, it’s not about the objects created, it’s about doing stuff, interacting, communicating, exploring. Art is just a way to cultivate, or more accurately remember what you forgot about self-expression and self-determination since the time you were about 5. And, it should ultimately be fun.

To that end, my dream of a Wandering Cirkus of Absurd Art and Performance:

My old van, painted carnival colors, loaded up with all manner of fun stuff, completely self- contained and self-sustaining. Hacked and cobbled together low-fi low-tech sound and light and art-making equipment, a few battered folding tables, lots of paper and paint and glue, silkscreen frames, cardboards for stencils, gallons of paint and brushes and inks, nothing fancy, nothing expensive, everything comes from a hardware store, second hand stores, pawn shops. Some kind of collapsible tent, decorated of course. Pull up, park, empty out, set up tables. Come one, come all, paint pictures, make prints, silkscreen shirts, make stencils and take a can of spray paint. Reclaim your empowerment as an artist, spread your message. Music blasting, everyone can contribute, just bring your ipod, jack in your favorite playlist, share it with the people. No rules, no permits, no licenses, just good clean fun, or dirty if you prefer. Kids to octogenarians, everyone’s welcome at the Cirkus. Everyone’s thing is equally important and valid. Make stuff, share it, be excited, make more. Challenge the accepted norm. Make a new norm. Be ab-normal! Express. Tip the gas fund if it suits, and if you can.

My part? Make it accessible, be encouraging. Stir things up. Suggest possibilities. If it suits me, drag out a grill, cook and feed the crowd. Make sure there’s plenty of water. Get people to co-operate and interact. Introduce strangers. Spread the gospel of making stuff for the sheer joy of making. And then, when it gets dark…

Movie time! Guerilla drive-in. I’d have sound, and dvd projection on a blank wall, or on a sheet draped over the van. (cause I know how to do this stuff!) Gather round everyone, let’s watch Amelie, 10 feet tall! Or Pleasantville or artist biographies (Christo? Bread and Puppet?) And at midnight, a bonfire, burning brightly, music switched to slowgroove latenight Cuban and African rhythms, to wind down the night. At some point, audience participation: everyone gets out their cell phone and simultaneously text messages the person they love most in the world. Reaching out across the ether, flooding the airwaves with hope, love and goodwill. In the Cirkus of the Absurd, we use whatever we have to express ourselves, and let the ripples spread.

Finally, late, clean up. Leave no trace, only memories. Everything packed away, silence, stillness. But the feeling and laughter and joy and community remains. Ephemeral but permanent at the same time.

Not that I put a lot of thought into it, but something like that…

So if I roll into your town, would you come? And is there a floor or garage I could sleep in?

If anyone wins the lottery and wants to fund such an adventure, let me know. In the meantime, I’ll be working on details and logistics. Like I said, a boy’s gotta have a dream…

Have a great day, maybe do something Absurd yourself, just for the sheer joy of it. And taking my own advice, I have my cellphone in hand…