Thursday, April 20, 2006

Wednesday Evening Blog on Thurs Night

This is about how the week is going, jam packed full, of many good things, and then the few annoyances necessary for contrast and to remind us to appreciate the good stuff.

So, here is something really cool that happened to me yesterday afternoon:


























Yup, that is my hand. Yes, that is a LIVE female hummingbird in good health. And finally, most miraculously, I had the dcam in my pocket!

The planets were most certainly in alignment.

I went to one of my little buildings to get an unsold birdbath out to fill for my fine feathered friends that are all about. I had the camera in my pocket because a bit before I saw 2 pairs of red breasted grosbeaks at the feeder and was trying for a picture to post, but no luck, they're still a little skittish this early in the year. Anyways, there was this little hummingbird in the building where the birdbath was, fluttering against a window trying to get out, apparently confused. I had the door opened but she couldn't/wouldn't find it, and I was afraid she'd hurt herself...so I thought I sort of guide her that way with my hand. Except she wouldn't go, fluttering madly against the window so i Just put my hand over her and the minute I did she stopped. I was shocked, she let me pick her up and didn't struggle. amazing. I went outside, snapped the first pic excited as all get out, thinking it would bolt away the moment I opened my hand. But when I did, she just SAT there! It was amazing, she was so tiny and no weight, but you could feel her heart beating 1000 beats per minute. I was worried she was injured, but her eyes were open and alert. So of course I took another pic, with her sitting in my open hand. After that, she stayed there and let my pet her back a couple of times, only flying away when I gave her a little nudge from below. She flew into the nearest dogwood and scolded me loudly (well as loud as a hummingbird can)...or maybe she was thanking me.

I felt like I had been graced with some kind of magic. And you know what? A whole lot of other things happened yesterday, and today, that was as good as this.

Lucky, lucky me. I wish you all to have the same feeling tomorrow.

(ed. note: work is crazy for the next 48 hours so if there's no blogging its because I'm fighting the good fight...)