Wednesday, April 19, 2006

April Showers

Time is flying this week. Or not flying but crammed full. Work is way busy, and then trying to cram as much life in outside of it results in the days not being long enough, even with the extended daylight.

This morning a storm is coming down off the ridge...thunder, lightning. It will be a splashy Lucy walk I guess. The thunder is really rolling, I haven't looked at the weather to see if this is the tone of the day, but it might be, all this early heat often results in a day or two of storms to wash everything clean. I'll be sure to have my camera today, as I've become interested in the nuance of light, and the light right after a storm is beautiful. I've been taking a lot of pictures lately, hundreds, trying to teach myself about composition thru experience.

I saw Joe (my documentary subject) yesterday, walked around his place, where spring is literally bursting out all over. New growth, you can feel the energy in the air. I'm feeling it myself this year for the first time in forever- potential, possibility, kinetic energy, vibrations inside and out. Often finding it hard to sleep, cause I want to keep going and not lose the feeling of great things happening. But when I wake up the feeling is still there, so maybe I don't need to think about it so much, just do something with it. But I digress. Next week I hope to spend a couple of days with Joe and make some progress on his story. I'm even thinking maybe to stay up there overnight in the yurt. I find going to his place requires a gear shift, to a lower speed, and the longer I'm up there the more in tune I am to what he's doing and I can better see how to show it to everyone.

I'm kinda rambling, but that's the mood I'm in. Thinking a lot about time, and changes over time. Whole cycles, not just snapshots, of people, places, seasons, things. I find myself obsessed lately with rust and weathered wood. I have an idea of doing a sculpture of metal and wood, putting it up, then photographing it over time, watching it change, age, mature, weather, gain character, absorb and silent communicate its story.

Now it's raining steadily and the birds are singing. Waiting for light, and maybe the rain will let up. If not, I'll walk in the spring showers. And it will be wonderful.

Have a great day! Celebrate change.