Saturday, January 07, 2006

Three's

I decided this morning I needed to be organized if I'm going to effectively juggle my two big projects this year. So, breaking with my traditional creative approach, I made a list.

Normally, I just start fiddling around and see where things take me; not really efficient but it seems to be the way I get the best results. Having a clear vision of a finished project in my head is new to me in my studio. But I like the feeling of the first steps I took today.

I tend to view things with a "whole systems" eye. On my good days, I can see the thing or idea, and intuit how the parts need to come together to make it work. I guess I'm a de-constructionist by nature. Anyways, having a vision of this installation at completion is going to allow me to get my arms around the pieces and processes. Today was clean up the studio, ready the work surfaces, and start making the little pieces to get into the rhythm of working with clay. That all went well, not any fits and starts and restarts. I put on some latin music and got to it. At the end of the day, 15 small pieces, which will be trimmed tomorrow. I don't know what the soundtrack will be.

As I was working I quickly fell into my personal method of working in series. I never do just one thing. I always have several pieces or groups going at one time. I most often work in 3's, or groupings of 3's. Now this unusual, as most folks work in 4's, or multiples of 4's. That's how I was taught to work; being the type of student I am, you see how it took.

I like the idea of Three. There's a certain stability there, but not so square as 4. If it can't be round, then triangles please my eye more than squares or rectangles, I don't know why. Groups of people? 3 is a perfect number for me. Coffee? 3 coffees a day is just about right (unless it's 6, which is a whole 'nuther story). Options? 3 is plenty, enough to have the freedom of choice, but not too many which then creates an atmosphere of indecision. Menu items? 3 is good (pass the hot sauce please). Bowling? 3 games are perfect, 4 can be inconclusive, and 5 will be too much the next day when you wake up with a sore shoulder. And how about if we could divide the day into thirds instead of into hourly increments? A third of a day is a good chunk 'o time: I could actually accomplish something! I could go on but you get the idea. 3 is right for me.

So what's your number, and why? And does anyone besides me ever ponder these things?

So that's it for me tonight. I'm in pursuit of some serious sleep, more than 3 hours. A multiple would be nice, say 9?

Have a great evening!