Thursday, December 22, 2005

MOMA-blog

Continuing the NYC travelogue for those of you still reading along (I appreciate your stamina!) today we go to MOMA.

Starting the cold day with a short walk the a typical NY diner for breakfast. I find that breakfast is the food deal of the day almost anywhere- tank up and go all day. This was a good place, cheap and plentiful with fresh squeezed OJ! and yummy coffee. The morning was cold as all get out but we just walked it anyways, down to the good old subway and downtown.

The MOMA building is HUGE. Not as much as the major Euro Museums, but still. Bring your lunch, its an all day event. We got there just as the doors were opening, no lines, and through the generosity of our hosts, got to use their member card which saved on the hefty admission $. This was my second time there, (the first time I paid) Yes it's expensive, but worth it, especially if you've never been.

Besides the general collection, there were 3 big shows up: Pixar Animations (Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles) had a fabulous and detailed display of how those productions are made. I had no idea of all the real handwork art involved, like about 2-3 years worth from a lot of artists before the project gets to the CGI guys. Amazing, and beautiful work. Drawing, painting, pastels, modeling of all media...it's crazy what has to happen to get the characters on the screen. I'm a sucker for Pixar and Dreamworks productions (loves me some talking animals!) so it was fun to see.

The second thing was a big installation on safety and security design. I was lukewarm about spending the time on it, but decided to have a quick look and then spent a couple of hours there. I was particularly intrigued by some of the shelter objects they had, and was reminded in general that every product has gone through a design stage, early on performed by creative people that take concepts and give them form. Something as simple as a foam earplug, to something as advanced as an open ocean survival craft...it almost always starts from a pencil drawing. I guess that's a good argument for every manufactured product having an element of art, commercial or otherwise. I wonder if all those drawers do non-commercial work in the wee hours? I like to think so.

The third exhibit was an overview of Elizabeth Murray's work. I like her work methods and philosophy, but I've never seen her work live. Video and print made me think it would appeal to me. But I have to say seeing it in person didn't do a lot for me, at least as a finished product. It was a bit much for my aesthetic. But technically, it rocked! The paintings are huge, bright and multi-dimensional. I wonder how I would have responded to them in another context...as I write, I'm thinking the proximity of them to each other took away from the experience. Plus, I'd like to see one outside of a museum environment. I think coming across one as an unexpected splash would be cool.

The rest of the museum was given over to the permanent collection, a wonderful exhibit. (the design gallery was closed because a new show was being installed, so we missed furniture and fixtures). The collection reads like an art history book, every color and black and white plate you've ever seen come alive. It's thrilling to see masterpieces in real life. Some of it will literally take your breath away. Monet's Reflections of Clouds on the Water-Lily Pond by itself is all consuming and nearly overwhelming in scale and beauty. Jackson Pollack's huge panels crash over you. The Van Gogh's, the Matisse's, the Picasso's of course are like being in the presence of art rock stars, as well as all the abstract expressionists and those that followed. Work of all types and sizes, big and small, loud and quiet, surround and saturate you. At the end of the day you have no doubt you were in the presence of Great Things.

Which leaves one full of art, but footsore, tired and hungry. So at closing time, its out into the cold and the New York rush hour (which now doesn't seem so bad compared to the craziness of the transportation strike) and back to the apartment to freshen up and rest feet for the jaunt to dinner.

And lo, what a dinner it was! Vietnamese in a beautiful little restaurant up in the area of 77th and 2nd avenue, a place that has an abundance of ethnic restaurants that all looked affordable (we'll definitely spend more time up there on the next visit) and had great potential. We sat and ate long and hard, everything was delicious! And the place itself was beautiful but not cheesey at all. And best of all, it was affordable for two poor artist travelers like ourselves.

(It occurs to me that I should mention this guidebook. It was recommended to us by friends, and I have to say it's worth its weight in gold. The Not for Tourists Guide to NYC I give it a 5 of 5 stars, and that's unusual for a travel guide. But its small, comprehensive, and intuitive to use. Every piece of info we got from it was extremely accurate. I've used Let's Go guides for years in Europe and America and this is equal to or better than the Let's Go series in every way.)

Summary: MoMA: go to it. Plan on all day. Drink it in. You'll be glad you did.

So that ends MOMA day. And we're coming up to the next leg of our trip. I have a short list of artists I'd love to meet, and I was able to spend time with one of those fine people the next day. And it's a story, for sure.

Until then, be well, be happy, be warm. Have a great evening!