Saturday, November 05, 2005

Sun sliding behind the ridge

and the twilight woods shines like slightly tarnished gold, different from the morning which was more glow-y.. There's a slight breeze blowing, which suggests a cooler morning and probably a good bit of fog to look forward to.

I worked outside all afternoon at the kiln, scraping shelves and doing maintenance. It was warm enough for shirt sleeves, making it not an unpleasant task. My new working rule for the fall is go slower, do less. I'm somewhat OC, and can hurl myself into projects at a pace that takes all the fun out of it. So I start with my artwork, and try to change my habits. There'll be enough day job work happening for the next two weeks that I can careen around if I want, but find I'm much happier if I catch myself and slow down a bit.

K scored a loom today...a "give it to you if you'll come get it" loom stored in a woodshed, reported to be never used. Too good to be true. She took the truck and returned an hour later, with a dusty but otherwise perfect like new sweet 30" loom. How this is possible defies the imagination. In our mountains, most anything left unattended, especially if an organic material, succumbs to Appalachian Blue Mold in short order. This woodshed must have been hermetically sealed. As I speak, the loom is being returned to glowing with nothing but a damp rag wipe down followed by a lemon oil massage.

Tomorrow I'll start glazing big pots, taking advantage of what I hope to be a not rainy or windy day. The small pots I can do inside, but the big ones can get messy so I do them outside. I like to be able to wrestle and splash and get slip and glaze in my beard and eyebrows and generally make a big mess in order to get them like I want them. K will avoid the scene of the crime. She is not messy.

I have the movie Orwell Rolls in His Grave, noted by Sam at Feral a couple of weeks ago. We're meeting friends for dinner in a while but if its not too late when we get home I might plug it in. Maybe it will be review material. Because I have so much time on my hands and can never think of anything to write...

Hope everyone has a great Saturday evening. Take care and have fun!