Sunday, November 06, 2005

George Orwell Rolling...

(edited at lunchtime on Monday)

The day flashed by in one of the warm autumn hazes. I began the day with the intent to glaze pots, paint and draw, and nap. I ended it having glazed a few pots, unassembling and reassembling a big loom, working on the van that wouldn't start and do a couple of life maintenance things. And tomorrow begins an over the top day job work cycle. So it goes.

I want to tell you about this documentary, Orwell Rolls in His Grave. Like many others, I was turned onto it by a mention in Sam's Feral not too long ago. Put it on Netflix, and got it Friday. Watched it last night. Can't stop thinking about it today. But before I leap into it, an aside.

Recently I've been thinking and studying a lot about media creation and distribution. Apparently this is going to be my fall obsession. I'm certainly not qualified or educated enough on the subject to comment much, but that said I still enjoy exploring it. My personal rule of thumb tends to be if a media is not self-supporting, then it is suspect, and you have to check and verify every piece of information you're given, because there is an agenda, hidden or not. And even if something is self-supporting, it's worth digging around. Media creation for profit is such a big business it skews content, no doubt.

I think the average person really needs to challenge the usual information outlets, and better yet go out and find our own information, and share it any way possible. I've flooded a few email boxes lately in my enthusiasm to support and encourage that effort. It is part of my bigger belief in the importance of small art. Find it, share it, make it, distribute it, support it. Look for the truth, and tell the truth (or at least the truth you know as well as you know it). Because as we all know, it can and will "set us free"...

Sorry, I'm rambling. Mind is whirling and fingers not fast enough to keep up and for the love of god I need an editor!

Back to the documentary: everyone must see this film. It's not glitzy, but is well done and very informative. Actually, it gives substance to things I've suspected all along, but similar to Farenheit 9/11, it shows that the problems are much deeper, have been around longer, and more serious than one could guess. And to be honest,it doesn't leave one with much hope. K said she just wanted to cry after watching it from sheer frustration. I on the other hand get mad and want to do something. Short story: the crooks in the government, mainstream media, and advertising have stolen our media with our passive acceptance and are now using it against us to perpetuate the crime. So, we either have to take it back, or create our own.

The problem with a film like this is that anyone who is likely to watch it and get it is already on the side of agreement. The people who need to watch it won't, or will just to discount it. But I hope maybe "preaching to the choir" will finally get the choir to unite and sing together.

It's already gotten me started. I sat up into the wee hours looking at these two websites referenced in the film. They're both worth a look. I'd never heard of either of them (no surprise) but was wondering if anyone else has? This one, The Center for Public Integrity seems broad and deep and worth spending some serious reading time on. (editors note: I deleted the link to the second one at lunchtime monday because after further reflection it can't hold up to the quality of the first. Actually, I think it would do more harm than good. Once I gave it more than a cursory look I found it to lack reason, insight, depth and factual substance...)

Orwell Rolls in His Grave is available on Netflix, and maybe rental places in cities. Do yourself a favor, watch it and pass it on.

Hope everyone has a great week, my blogging might be spotty because of work but maybe I can get off this trend of seriosity and back to the things that make life something to smile about. Until then, take care, have fun, and ask questions.