Saturday, August 27, 2005

Working for half a living...

Good morning boys and girls, its the early edition of small ponderings. This necessitated by an early departure for work and a late return, at which time I'll be pooped and reduced to collapsing in my chair before bed.

To the left, let me introduce the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail. I know this because after spending time in the meadow with them yesterday afternoon I decided to find out what they are. We are inundated with a bajillion dancing butterflies. These and the black females are the most prevalent this week, and a joy to watch. I decided yesterday evening after a long week with people to take my camera and film some of them and it was really something. You learn a lot when trying to do such a thing, such as direct experience of the word "flit". As in butterflies flit around...can you imagine trying to film such a uninhibited being? It is a zen exercise. But a healthy one at that. Anyways, I got some rough tape, which I'll edit and post as time allows. I'm not good enough at it to be efficient, so it takes a while.

Another interesting thing is this story on NPR this week. I'm interested in this type of artwork and person, so enjoyed it a good bit. Where are people like Henry Jacobs in this day and time? We need more of them.

Finally, the old UPS truck came rattling up to the top of the hill last evening bearing a delivery of a luscious new book: Roth Time, the art of Dieter Roth. I don't know much about him, but my goodness what a maker he was! I look forward to immersing myself in the book, and exploring the man.

So, that's it for me today...hi ho its off to work I go. Blogging may be sporadic, dependent on energy or if anything interesting happens during the next couple of weeks. It's nose to the grindstone time, end of summer classes at the school then a week of working to reset for the fall. Non-stop till the second week of Sept, then a moment to catch our breath before fall classes. I'm excited because the pace does change for a bit afterwords, and I will be able to get back into my clay studio.

Until next time, be cool and have fun!