Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Another day in the life...

This will be a duplicate posting to my blogger site, just for comparison...

I had a crummy day at work. Not that anything happened that was particularly bad, but the day left me feeling washed out.

I think its the annual near end of the season malaise, though at least this year
I haven't gotten sick, thanks to better pacing and the magic of Lomatium every morning. We work hard to provide an environment for our students to maximize their studio time and exposure to not only their particular media, but many others as well. So my best energy and effort go towards making sure others have a great creative experience. I'm very good at it, but the downside is I often have little or nothing left for myself and my creative work. This not unusual for people in my situation,
(artists that work in arts environments in order to support themselves so they can work on their art) and it was even said first this week by Rachael. And we generally aren't good at coming up with balanced solutions.

So the answer tonight was come home, put a chicken on the coals, replace an outdoor floodlight fixture, go for a long walk with Lucy and Izzy, come back, eat some of said chicken with tabouleh salad, made with organic flat leaf parsley, some heirloom tomatos, a ton of garlic, some organic bulghur wheat, and a lemony lemon. All
consumed in front of the TV box while watching one of my favorite art videos, Andy Goldsworthy's River and Tides.

On my short list of artists I'd like to emulate in work habit, vision and attitude, Goldsworthy (here and here) is near the top. The main lesson I get from him is that the Art is always there, you just need to be able to see and feel it. And since he works in some pretty rugged circumstances, always focused on the work at hand, I find him to be an inspiring role model. If he can get up at 4am to build ice sculptures with his bare hands out on a windy beach, surely I can find a way to balance my days and get something made in the relative comfort of my studio and shop.

So, on that hopeful note I'll end the day. Tomorrow's another chance to get it right. Here's hoping for good things to happen to you.

Owls, cicadas and peepers are the soundtrack for the night. It's pleasant this evening, rain having given way to a cool mist that is enveloping our mountain top....