Thursday, January 25, 2007

Why our stories are equally valid

"I'm nobody, who are you?
Are you nobody too?
Then there's a pair of us, don't tell;
They'd banish us, you know... "
- Emily Dickinson

In my last audio post I mentioned my interest in new media, making your own media, and what I've found to be the two lines of think regarding our stories. Since I believe we should tell our stories, I figured I should be clear as to why. And this is what I come up with:

We are all more alike than we might imagine. And we have a lot in common. Knowing that could have some huge benefits. Additionally, everyone can learn something from someone else, if both parties are willing to communicate fearlessly and listen to each other.

I've been lucky enough to have traveled a lot when I was younger, thanks in part to Uncle Sam's Navy, and then some post service disposable income and the benefit of some time. I've been to a good many places in Asia, Australia, all over the US, and made extended visits to Canada, France, Spain and Germany. I got along really well everywhere, and I mean I traveled close to the ground. Mostly I would be by myself, and I always avoided other Americans and folks that spoke English as their first language, preferring to take my chances with little money and the local populace, and wherever I was, I tried to melt into the local flow of things. I could fumble around good enough in the Euro languages to get around, and in Asia I just threw myself on the mercy of the people. I never had any problems, please and thank you would get you a long way. And this is what I learned:

The average person everywhere I've been pretty much wants the same things: enough to eat, a roof over their head, and nobody hassling them. They want to have a little fun, are willing to do a little work, and are generous and helpful. I suspect that's true worldwide.

I also learned that EVERYONE has a story! And they're mostly willing to share them. I've come to the conclusion that while not maybe the most interesting, dramatic, entertaining or educational, they are incredibly important. Because our stories, what we think, how we see, what we see, our hopes and dreams and disappointments and challenges, what we like and dislike, our tastes and inclinations and perceptions, THAT is our humanity. And that is the one thing we each have in equal abundance. Our stories are a great equalizer.

So I think we should share them, however we can. We should be proud of our stories (and thus, ourselves). Realizing we have them, that they are valid, and sharing them breaks the stranglehold on truth that advertising, politicians, governments and corporations maintain in order to control us, make us afraid, create a feeling of lack or uselessness or sell us something. Realizing that our stories are valuable and matter, that WE matter, is very empowering. If we begin to believe in ourselves and each other, then we're less dependent on all those other sources who are running an often obscure and insidious agenda.

So my story may not be spectacular, but it's mine, and it's who I am (so far), as is yours. I'm all for you speaking up and out, I can choose whether or not to invest the time and energy into listening and following it (and vice versa). I don't need to agree with you, or even like you, but in knowing something about you, I realize there's another human being doing their thing the best way they know how, and not some abstract entity that is out to take away from or hurt me, or something/someone that can be discounted and ignored.

Stories matter. Between making stuff and telling stories, this world might have a chance. It's worth a try, and has the potential of being a lot of fun to boot.