Saturday, January 06, 2007

Reconvening

I haven't fallen off the ridge or been blown down the hill, time just flew by this week. Travel, connectivity problems, houseguests, work and life stuff in general has limited time and access. But I think today will allow me to get back on track.

I haven't been making much stuff since the holiday, but plan to spend time in the basement and shop this weekend and stir some things up. One thing for certain is I need to corral and organize all the random pieces, parts, and ideas I have and focus down on something(s). Since I like the number 3, I'm thinking of getting 3 specific projects going (while dissimilar, they can be complimentary). Lately I'm really interested in video and sound, as well as painting/drawing and taking detail pictures. But then I feel like building something, so I'm gonna figure out a way to incorporate all that into a sustained rhythm of making.

Lofty goals. The other possibility is that I sit and watch MASH reruns, generously taped for me by someone who has cable and was hip to the fact there was a MASH marathon on during the holiday season...

All that to say the year is off to a good start, I'm feeling optimistic if a bit scattered (but not too worried about it) and hopeful for a good year. I think my response to all the crazy sad stuff in the world these days will be to try to maintain some sense of crazy happiness and contentment, being grateful and expressing gratitude, and focus on the positive instead of the negative. I believe there's actually more good than bad in the world, it's just the bad gets more press. So I figure I'll give good a chance and test my theory.

Right now, it's time for some coffee, and to begin gathering up all my notebooks and scraps of paper and stuff and start making sense of it...there is an order, however random and chaotic it might be. And if not, that's ok too. I found this quote last night, and I think there's some truth to it:

"If it doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense. We don't have to waste our time making sense of it."

Better to waste my time making stuff instead of sense.

Have a great weekend!