Wednesday, January 17, 2007

500

First, I want to thank you guys for your kind and encouraging comments on my last post. I write stuff here, I never know if it will resonate or if it has any value to anyone (besides myself for the act of doing it) and it makes me feel good to know I'm contributing in some little way to other people, whether it be information, entertainment, diversion, and stirring up some thinking that you might find useful one way or another.

Secondly, to my surprise Blogger informed me that this is my 500th post on this site. I don't quite know what to think about that. I guess I've had a lot to say. I don't know how much of it mattered, but i guess it needed said. Thank you for reading and not cancelling your internet access.

I was talking with a friend of mine about stuff in general, and how I think most of what I say, write or do is trivial, that significant things are few and far between. But being a person that has a view of life as web-like (not in the internet sense but in the Natural sense) it occurred to me that there probably is equal need for the trivial as well as the significant; I don't know that you can have one without the other, and certainly they inform each other. Also, the point was made that I probably worry too much about such things, especially since I'm driven to seek clarity, experience directly and am not fond of labels, classical definitions, limits, boundaries, rules, etc. And then theres that little (big?) need I have for an editor, either self or external.

Once someone told me makers could be generally be placed in one of 2 catagories: adders, and taker-awayers. The adders start from scratch, and out of thin air make something, stopping when it's done and the vision or message is realized. The taker-awayers start from something, strip it down, alter it, recombine, rethink, redo until they get to the vision/message, or until the vision/message becomes clear to them. I think I'm a hybrid: I like to start from scratch, but rarely know where I'm going or when to stop, and keep coming back to strip things back down, alter, redo, not till i get to the point but until the point FINDS me. I realize this is very inefficient, but the older i get the more comfortable I am with it, and the more I enjoy it.

This post a good example, I think I blew past the point some time ago, and now I need to retrace and look for it.

In the meantime, I hope everyone is safe, warm and happy, and has a lovely day. The light is just peeking over the ridge, Lucy is patiently waiting for her walk, the stove needs another log, and the day is started.

Take care and have fun.