Thursday, December 14, 2006

Convergence of messages

Busy day, I had in mind to write a different post than this, but all indications are that this one is better.

I've been working all day with folks setting up and preparing for our workplace holiday party tonight. Like everything else on our mountain, it's a DIY affair. But the good nature and good cheer is abundant, the weather is beautiful and it should be fun. We shoveled out and cleaned the big dining haul room, decorated with twinkle-y lights, handblown glass candlelabras on the table, people in and out of the kitchen cooking, potluck coming, beverages readied (my main responsibility). I cobbled together a sound system, there will be homemade music played for a while (two accordians and a for real washtub bass, do we know how to have fun or what?) before jacking in a laptop or ipod for a christmas playlist from hell. and the evening will roll on.

Which put me in the mind of how nice it is to be nice and play well together. This is on my mind a good bit lately, tis the season and all that. Coupled with a recent book reading, and an excellent blog posting on what to do when things in the blogosphere aren't so nice, and it really drives home the point.

And finally, it reminded me of this, an article written annually by Jon Carroll, that I had almost forgotten about, but found easily on the source of all information, Google. I first discovered Jon Carroll myself a 1000 years ago in another lifetime when I lived in San Francisco, and have been reading this same article (updated) for over ten years now, and it makes me warm and fuzzy and hopeful.

So that's where I am today, feeling nice, trying to BE nice. For about a million good reasons. And the sun's out and it's warmish and there's food and drink soon to be had, and i need to get back to finalizing the details and put on my party dress.

Hope everyone has a lovely evening.