Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Metaphor

Everyone has a Demon Tree, a challenge, a problem, a hurdle to get over that sneers at their efforts, mocks them, tortures them with it's existence. They come in all sizes, shapes, varieties, levels of difficulties, and size of importance.

Mine just happens to be a real tree. I wrote about it at length earlier this year.

That thing has been the bane of my exisitence. Me, a do-er, I just couldn't face it's hugeness and the amount of work handling it would be. 3 days after this picture, I got on the roof of the shed, cut it off, repair the roof and chimney, and left the rest, silent, stoic, mocking me.

I scowled at it a lot during the spring and summer. I loathed that tree, and how it made me feel about myself. I'm sure I walked out and cursed at it more than once.

I finally have been able to drag myself out and work around, with and on it. And a miracle has occurred: I've reached an agreement with the Demon Tree.

Not even an agreement- I find myself suddenly a little fond of it. It took me...7 months to realize the tree falling was not a personal attack or a malicious attempt to complicate my world.

It was just a big old tree that fell.

And now, out there sawing and splitting and stacking, I'm getting to be friends with it. I even said thank you yesterday. And apologized for being not so nice and failing to appreciate what the tree gives.


The Demon Tree will heat my house, this winter and probably most of next. All it takes from me is a little understanding and a little effort. Much better than being cold.

So, not a Demon Tree at all. Sometimes I'm slow to realize things.

Maybe you can make friends with your Demon Tree faster than I did. Life's too short to waste time scowling.

Have a great day!