Thursday, June 01, 2006

Small Ponderer's Day Off

Well, I could squander it being productive and responsible, because there are so many things "needing" done: the demon tree waits to be cut and split, I could go down the mountain and get a trailer full of mulch for the flower beds, I could work like a chain-gang road crew on the gravel drive, I could mow the meadow and adjacent areas, etc. etc....

But. I read a little Thoreau this morning.

"It is not enough to be busy. So are the ants. The question is: What are we busy about?"

A darn radical thinker and writer, he. But perfect for the mood.

So today I will draw, paint, make small clay objects, fashion together bits and pieces of found stuff. I'll walk, and nap and read and write and listen to the birds (and curse the loggers). Or maybe I'll do nothing more than sit in the sun, should it decide to shine through the morning fog. I guess somewhere in there I'll eat, I like eating. But simple, fast, nothing complicated.

It sounds like a good way to spend the day, and the chores will be wait for me to get replenished and refilled.

Have a great day yourselves! Maybe, I'll take some pictures today...