Monday, April 24, 2006

R & R, Small Ponderings Style

It's been a long work stretch and I'm tired. So I decided to treat myself to some days off, and replenish for the end of the session, and the beginning of the summer which runs full-on non-stop. So I had some idea I'd take a little road trip down to see the parental unit, and then maybe up to DC for sushi and martinis. But the reality is I don't feel like all the driving, gas is cost prohibitive, I'm fundamentally lazy, and I have six months of life maintenance staring me in the face (ie: fire wood to cut, meadow needing mowed, gates needing built, yadda yadda).

So.

Today I drug and stacked limbs from all the deadfall that happened over the winter. (ok, not all of it, maybe half of it, so there's more to do). Also, extracted some dead mountain laurel :^( and got rid of it. Pulled down all the woodpile tarping, cleaned, folded, stored. Whipped the back doggie yard into shape. Walked out, scowled and stared at the demon tree that mocks me. That for another day, maybe tomorrow. Went down into town, scouring junk places for metal to build a gate with. No luck. More picking up, throwing away, etc. Grunt work, but hot and sunny and it's good to be outside and away from people.

So I'll spend my R&R week doing more of the same. Wanting to make some stuff, but have a hard time focusing on that when so much else is pressing. I guess I'll make my own martinis in the evening and eat catfish instead of sushi. One does what one can with what one has...

Oh yeah, other good things...going to hang with my mentor one afternoon, and let him provide me with guidance and wisdom about my artwork, and then on Friday I'll be working all day with on my video documentary project with Joe at Mountain Gardens.

Pictures of Spring on the hill, I'm SO happy it's here.

I know you can't see them but there were like a million butterflies working in these azaleas....






the first bearded iris














old people call this a money plant, it's a harbringer of prosperity. I'll keep photographing it during the spring and summer and maybe you'll see why. (plus, could we all use a little prosperity???)



Hope everyone is having a great day!