Monday, April 17, 2006

"Monday morning he woke up..."

Good morning.

A cool still dark dawn, rain scent on the air and birds singing already. This after a hot hot Easter Sunday. It's unusually warm and dry here, like it's gone from late winter/early spring to mid summer in a couple of days. And does anyone know how it is and why birds sing in the morning dark, long before the sun even thinks about coming over the ridges? It's actually a nice way to wake up. Between that and every door/window open in the house, it's almost like waking up in a treehouse.

So I worked yesterday, the school does a big community event potluck/egg hunt and it's a fairly big deal, people come from miles away. And since the weather was good, a LOT of people came. I wish I had taken some pictures of bonnets; it's amazing what people can and will do with $5 and a trip to the local Waldo Mart and enough time on their hands.

The day was way busy, and cleanup took a long time. Then I got home with life maintenance to do. So I don't have any good or interesting stories to tell (big surprise) but I did want to let everyone know this:

The hummingbirds came back, I saw the first one at the feeder on Saturday evening. This really makes me happy. I love the little things, and usually spend enought time out around their feeders that they become accustomed to me, and I can get very close to them. Last year one even perched on the edge of a faded red ballcap I was wearing!

I always have said that if small animals and little kids respond well to you then you're not all bad. So i took that as a good sign. Anyways, I'm really attached to the hummingbirds (do you know they migrate and return to the same feeder year after year? and raise their little hummingbird families in the same places, if the food and environment remain constant?)

So it's Monday and the sun's just peaking up over the ridge. It's gonna be hot, but there is that scent of far away rain in the air. I have a busy week, working every day till next Sunday because of various events at the school, but I'll try to find something worthwhile and the time to post it.

Hope everyone has a good day and a good start to the week.