Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Words...

On my mind this morning.

As in how to best use them to convey thoughts, feelings, ideas? Why is it one persons words can reach right into you and grab you, instantly bridging time and space and make you feel they were speaking/writing directly to you, and there is complete understanding, while another persons words are just a pile of stuff to navigate thru and around? And it could be the SAME words.

Why do some stories paint vivid pictures and others lay flat, dull? This goes for spoken and written words. Again, people can use the same words, and get completely differnt results.

I read and write a LOT (at least it seems so to me). I collect notebooks full of phrases, in and out of context. I'm not a language junkie, but I like how a word or group of words can create a visual sensation in my mind and give rise to a feeling.

When I write (here or wherever) that's what I shoot for but I so rarely achieve it. Words (or more accurately my use of them) fail me. Or at best it takes someone a lot of digging to get to the essential truth, or the vision or feeling I want to convey. So I'm wondering what to do about that (suggestions welcomed).

Oddly enough, for all the words I read and write, I don't talk much, I'm not a great conversationalist. Wish I was, maybe the familiarity would allow words to flow more easily and smoothly. Communication and connection is a funny thing; the greater my desire for it, the less proficient I seem to be at it. Like trying to grab smoke. It'd be easy to blame the words for the failing, but I don't think that's the problem. And it's not one of sincerity...there's something else. (there is ALWAYS something else!) The big questions of the day: How to connect, how to bridge, how to understand and be understood. How to best communicate thoughts, feelings and ideas?

Ah, a perfect point to stop and head out for the morning walk. The doves are singing, its a little cloudy, rain is probably arriving soon. It feels like a good morning to listen.

So- words. What are your favorite words? How do you use them? What works best for you in both giving and receiving them? And what is it that makes words (written, spoken, sung) ring true for you?

Have a great day!