Thursday, March 09, 2006

What we can do

For some reason lately I've taken to watching the evening news. I don't know why, I'm usually deliberately un-informed by choice. I have little to no faith in the mass media, so my watching consists of listening and then providing simultaneous editorial commentary right back at the stupid shouting tv box. I suppose this is my intellectual contact sport. I think its about run its course; I've reached my quota of broadcast lies, fabrications, and stupidity for the year. But last night I got to thinking (after the nightly toxic dose of "information") that if everything everywhere sucks so bad (and on the surface it does, I mean greed, corruption, wars, epidemics, etc etc) then WHAT can a person do in a day to create a little grace and peace? To do nothing doesn't seem like a good choice, it's too much like giving up. Fighting it isn't much better cause then we're being suckered into participating in a fixed game. So I'm thinking a little revolutionary non-participation is in order. We can regain and maintain our humanity on an individual level and maybe be bright spots in an otherwise big, dark and stormy planet. Besides, it's a matter of style; if you have a choice (and we do) then why not run counter to the big machine, if for no other reason than the sheer fun of it?

So here's my suggestions of how to make your immediate world a better place today (or tomorrow, for the reader in the eastern time zone...):

1. Think for yourself.
2. Relax.
3. Be patient.
4. Play nice.
5. Have some fun.
6. Do good work.
7. Say thank you and mean it.

That should throw a little monkey wrench into the bad news machine...

I seem to be in a list mode these days...clearly a reflection of my work days. Back to free flowing and organic prose soon.

Have a great evening!