Sunday, March 26, 2006

Walking thoughts

Just in from the mile long trudge (yes, today, trudge, not walk, amble, meandering) down the hill to the mailbox. Cold, gray, a raw wind coming off the ridge like a far away freight train. It feels...desolate seems like a good word.

The mailbox yields nothing to improve the mood. Junk, bills, the usual mail garbage. Good for starting fires in the woodstove. Which will pretty much end up today, the woodpile is done. Early this year, I blame it on all the high winds. The house is harder to warm when its windy cause the old windows are a bit drafty. So we'll be forced to use the furnace system, which means another layer of sweaters and hats. Gotta keep those fossil fuel costs in line.

It feels like a good day for comfort food- I'm craving chicken pot pie. But don't have all the stuff to make it, and the grocery down in town is too far to go to just for that, too much trouble it seems. I'm in a hunker down mood. So I'll see what the freezer can yield, and maybe bake some sweet potatoes. And a pot of pinto beans with hamhocks. And if i have cornmeal, then cornbread.

See? The benefits of blogging: A menu sketched out, one little thread of untangled thoughts. I'll take it.

Down to my studio now to see what I can do with the rest of the jumble. The pendulum swings, constantly...

Hope all have a peaceful day.