Thursday, March 16, 2006

Slack-ing

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit I'm sitting with my feet up using my trusty old laptop (while still always coveting a 15" G4 PowerBook, not one of the new intels thank you), drinking coffee, pondering a walk, and having no intention of moving at a speed faster than slow all day. Oh yeah, it's 8:30 and I'm not at work. I am, in a word, being

Slack.

Usually after about day 10 at the school, I have no idea of what day it is. I just keep moving, making lists, getting things done. But once everyone is settled and in their classes making stuff, then I can breathe a bit. So that's me for the next couple of days. Breathing. Slowly. And naps.

This is necessary for sanity and mood restoration. And so I can make some art (or not). And of course there's all those darn little life maintenance details (taxes, the big ass tree out near the kiln needing whittled down with chain saw, minor car repairs, washing the dog, cleaning the house, buying groceries); there's just so much for a boy to do! But I have to tell you the probability of a high rate of task completion is looking pretty slim right now. I am learning after long years that the list is NEVER done. So why get one's self in a tizzy over it? Re-lax!

Sun night at dinner amid all the new student confusion, I sat with one of our resident artists, and we had this great discussion about all the pressures we face regarding time, money, and demands on our energy as it relates to our making. Everyone is this area is in the same boat: it's very economically depressed, and even if you're a workaholic like some of us are, there is just NO way to make anything above a maintaining wage. The artist I was talking to is a workhorse, and has made her living before she came here doing large project management of fabrication jobs which supported her and subsidized her art making. Since she's been here she's had to struggle, because no matter how bad she wants to work, there just isn't any around, for at least a 50 mile radius. (she previously lived around NYC and Philadelphia). So it's been a hard winter. We were talking about how the constant pressure of trying to keep ones head above water results in people becoming disconnected. I've been here a while, and told her that was one of the surprises about living here. There's this huge artist's community, we have a lot in common, people are generally pretty friendly, but no one has (or takes) time, because they're too focused on trying to keep afloat.

She related one of her concerns was that she felt that she was experiencing an erosion of generosity. Of willingness to give up time, or even having to think about whether could she afford a cheap bottle of wine to bring to the occasional potluck we have around here. And then made the point that all we ever do is potlucks, cause hardly anyone can afford to do a dinner for more than a couple of people. And that with all the challenges people face, it's like they (we) don't have time to slow down and just be nice.

Sad to say, I don't think this is much different here than anywhere else, at least in our culture. It runs too fast. Lots of pressures on people. Some of it real, some of it artificial, and anymore it's hard to tell the difference. Lots of static, and it interferes with our ability to see, hear, connect. Time is a luxury.

So today I'm lucky because I get to indulge in luxury of non-hurry, as long as I don't fall into the rut of the "getting things done" buzz. So, I'm on guard. I'm going to go for a long walk in the morning sun with the dog, see what kind of birds are about and listen to what the morning sounds like. Later, I'm headed over to the next ridge to visit with the fellow that is sort of mentoring me, talk a little about sculpture, maybe have a beer in the sun. Then I'll meander back, and if its warm, I'll nap on the deck, if not, then on the sofa. No clay work today, but maybe some drawing or painting if the mood allows. And maybe I'll think about making a decent slow supper. Or not. Because you know, today I'm

Slack.

The best part? I can take the time to be nice. And find a way to be generous. And most of all: Relax.

Hope everyone has a good day. Slow down if you can, and don't forget to breathe.