Tuesday, March 28, 2006

On expectations

Try as I might, I just don't seem to be able to avoid them, expectations I mean. I really, really wanna be a come-what-may kinda guy. Mostly I can make the best out of whatever happens, or at least navigate my way through it without too much thrashing or permanent damage. But not always. And that's just life in the big city (or remote country, depending...)

On my bad days I think I expect too much out of life and living and that's the source of all my problems.

On my good days I think I expect too much out of life and living and that's the source of all my joy.

Most days, I'm not sure if it's a good or a bad day. But I always expect a lot out of life and living.

Today I don't reckon that's a bad thing, at least it keeps me moving. I just can't sit around waiting for stuff to happen; I seem to be driven to make my own happenings. Sometimes this works out, other times (most times?) I just end up with a big mess. I know theres really no control, and I don't have a sense of entitlement, so I guess I just sow the fields around me with my time and energy and whatever abilities I have at the moment, and see what sprouts. Weeds, flowers, corn, whatever, I'm often amazed that anything grows. But then the fun part is seeing what it is and what can be done with it.

Planting metaphors...hmm, an Ode to Spring? Maybe, the sun has decided to make and appearance today, so I'll take it as it comes.