Friday, March 03, 2006

Coming Clean

What a day.

Tomorrow is our annual community day at the school, and we get a LOT of people up to day studio tours and activities etc. This is one of the 4 big events of the year, and also comes on the weekend before we actually open for students, and 50% of my staff is new to the campus and situation, having just arrived this week. Of course it was 70 degrees and sunny for a couple of days, and today it was 30's and snowing, and who knows what tomorrow brings. Add to that the broken water main and the fallout/repair, and this year is starting off normally. I work all day tomorrow, have Sunday off, then work for at least 10 straight days without a break. These days wear me out, and I'm usually good for nothing in the evening except come home, clean up, and crash. It is times like this that my job gets all consuming by necessity. But that's what pays the bills so I get over it and get to it.

But that's not what I wanted to talk about, and actually not the post I had planned for the evening, which may or may not be forthcoming. But I felt like I should get something out in the open before you read it on "Bloggers Gone Wrong" or something...

So.

I got busted at work today.

Oh yes, it's true. At the tail end of a busy and chaotic day, something had to give. You see, when it gets crazy busy, I absolutely have to do something fun, just for my sake of balance. And since today I was still technically working by myself, I thought I could sneak in a little treat. So I was working, having just unloaded a van full of crap, iPod at high volume, when I decided to give in to the urge. And that's when I got busted.

The construction guys came upon me playing the air guitar solo part of "Touch of Gray".

Jerry Garcia would have been proud. I started out noodling, and as the crescendo built, went into full fledged head shaking hair waving jam and twirl mode. And it's a longish solo (live version).

They caught me about 3/4 of the way thru, and what could I do??? Not finish? Would Jerry break off, just cause someone was paying too much attention to him? I think not. So, I finished with a flourish, took a bow and moved on. I'm not sure if the stunned look on their faces was admiration or the fact that I wasn't playing a lively country/western or bluegrass tune. As I exited stage right, they shook their heads and walked back to their heavy equipment task at hand.

Too bad.

The encore performance was Neil Young's "Rockin the Free World" (i played Neil's part) and I SHREDDED it!