Thursday, February 09, 2006

Faces

I collect phrases and text from everywhere; words in and out of context interest me, and I often use them as a starting point for artwork. I can read or hear a phrase and immediately get a visual sense of it, which may or may not directly correlate to the words.

So sometime ago I found a phrase which I guess stuck pretty tightly to me. Of course I can't find it in the dozens of sketchbooks I have laying about (I tend to be a little random about such things) but it was something to the effect of "being the person we are, instead of the person we imagine ourselves to be". I can't remember where I got it or I'd credit it. Anyway, I got to thinking about how I present myself to the world. What parts I show, and what parts I guard carefully or even deny within myself. What causes me to show only one, or two, or three faces when a multitude exist?

I've written and deleted probably a thousand words on this topic tonight, and just keep going around in circles with it. Sometimes the thoughts just can't be corralled because I'm inclined to do a post. But I do know this: I think it's one of my challenges to live more honestly and authentically with myself and the world. I am beginning to believe its important to accept, acknowledge and celebrate ALL the faces I might have, keeping in mind theres a time and space for each of them. I think it's harmful to deny or reject any part of ourselves or fight against something within ourselves (this is something I've been good at). Maybe helping to resolve big conflicts in the world begins with resolving the little ones in myself.

A person is a rich conglomeration of thoughts, feelings, ideas, emotion and faces. If we play the roles we think we "should", if we conform at the expense of our spirits, even with the best of intent, if we are afraid to show our true face in a given moment, then we lose part of ourselves, and reject some part of our humanity. For myself, I think this is what causes feelings of fragmentation, and a lack of a sense of wholeness. We are not modular assemblies by design. So it's time to learn how to accept myself as a whole and unified being. I can see it in others, so I need to use the same eyes when looking at myself.

None of us is perfect, we all have light and dark and good and bad within us in varying and changing degrees. But this doesn't mean we aren't pretty great, all things considered. So as a little metaphorical step, I'll show you me, maskless, being the person I am, whatever that is at the moment.



Have a great evening and take your mask off (if you're wearing one). It's easier to breathe!