Monday, January 02, 2006

Stuff

Its cool, misty, and gray here on small ponderings mountain. A contemplative, bloggy sort of day, in contrast with the sunny warm and outside-y day yesterday. I do love variety.

Cleaning out the woodstove before building the morning fire I am reminded of how much I like that thing. And then what other stuff do I have that I'm really attached to? I'm not so much a materialist, don't have a lot of accessories, but there are things that make life pretty darn enjoyable. So I'm going to attempt a blog listing (my first ever?) of stuff I really like (not all inclusive).

wood stove- low tech, no nonsense, no moving parts and it does its job well, withou complaint

laptop- a window to the world, and mailbox extraordinaire. how else could we make friends all over the world from the top of this hill?

dsl- i'm addicted, couldn't live without it. it makes your computer a usuable living vehicle, instead of a lump of frustrating plastic

my 1947 Ford 8N tractor- simple straightforward, no frills workhorse. Battered and beaten, it runs like a dream. I can fix it, and it makes my life so much easier. I couldn't live up here without it.

iPod- i agonized over getting this a couple of years ago. I love music, but it seemed so extravagant. It was worth every penny. Now I never listen to the radio much, am a big fan of the podcast (no commercials and you listen when you want, not when something happens to be on) and, I figured out that i can use it to record stuff. It puts media in the hands of the people.

Schrade Multi-tool- they don't make mine anymore, i'd cry if something happened to it. A little toolbox on your belt, it saves me 1000's of steps a day. Best multi-tool ever, it doesn't pinch your hands. Like my Grandaddy used to say: "someone with some sense figgered that thing out.."

home entertainment system- we got our first and only one a couple of years ago. Another extravagance, but worth it. I haven't gone to a theatre in 2 years. Entertainment options are limited here on the mountain, and I refuse satellite tv (57 channels ain't nuthin' on) and its a LONG way to town. Plus expense and all that. Netflix, anyone?

coffee maker- i have this little melitta espresso maker that cost maybe $25 five years ago. I think its build of cast iron- I use it daily, 2 or three times a day, and it makes a damn fine cappuccino, espresso, or latte. I shall cry when it dies. I get my coffee (Italian roast espresso, fair trade, organic, shade grown)from an internet vendor and roll my own drinks daily. For years when living in the city, I was a frequent Starbucks customer (basic coffee drinks). My little melitta saved me from withdrawl when I moved to the mountain.

So that's a decent list. I think I'll go fire up the melitta, stoke the stove, and treat myself to surfing the web for some new music (haven't gotten any in a year) and add to my iPod playlists.

Have a great day!