Thursday, September 01, 2005

Trying to balance the scales

My latest posts haven't been very pleasant...like a lot of people I'm deeply disturbed by current events. But I was talking with one of my Core students today who is really struggling with the validity of studying and making and thinking about beautiful things, and the meaning of art in a time of chaos. I think it's more important at times like this that we make and do and share, just to show the hope of the human spirit; its a contribution that we can make as artists, reminding people that there is beauty and light in the world in spite of all evidence to the contrary. No, it doesn't feed people, bring them water, or rescue them. I don't know if there is a practical application of art towards disaster recovery, in fact I'm pretty sure there is not. But I feel its the little things that matter now, that there is validity in helping the rest of the population to be optimistic and hopeful and feel helpful. We need to reach out to those in need secure in our knowledge that there is truth and beauty and good in this world, and help them to see and remember it.

So to that end, I've posted my latest little video project. I still don't know what I'm doing, its rough and ragged but the best I can do now. Go here and click on the camera, and give yourself two minutes of something other than bad news. It's all I can offer right now. (it's 4 meg, so if you have a dialup make some tea while it downloads, maybe it will be worth the wait...)

Have a good evening, be nice to everyone, and be hopeful.