Friday, September 02, 2005

Essay from local New Orleans news station here.

I'm beginning to think the questions don't matter much any more, at least not for the short term. Everyone has them, (clearly I'm one of the worst), there will be no real answers and you cannot trust anything said by anyone that is/was responsibile for coordinating federal resources for relief and action. I am so depressed and tired of seeing a never ending stream of smug, arrogant, disconnected and insulated Old Rich and Privileged White Men making excuses and spinning the story. Thinking it couldn't get worse than King George, I saw evidence that it could. When questioned by a reporter as to why it took so long to get troops and supplies into downtown NO when reporters have had easy access for days, a National Guard Colonel (and I wish I had written his name down) said "It's hard work getting these things organized and moving...what are you, stuck on stupid?"

That may not be the exact quote, but it's very close. And exemplifies the attitudes of so many people supposedly in charge. It is sad...I think it to be a trickle down effect from W's general attitude and demeanor, and those heartless lemmings he surrounds himself with.

Nope, how this happened and how we got here doen't matter. What matters is what are we going to do now, and how fast? It's best for normal people not to waste time and energy talking and pointing fingers; leave that to the politicians, that's what they'll do as a first response anyway. Figure out how you can reach out and help. Then do it.

I think all of us have to keep each other bolstered and motivated. I know I can't seem to let it go. That's why the endless writing. A woman in California interviewed at one of a million Red Cross donation spots said it best "They're our family, whether we know them or not...we have to help them out."

Yes, we do.